Re: Tin Can Alley
I find that to be a strange comment. I do not see these or any of your renderings as show-off. The images and text are highly relevant to why this thread started: the effects of reducing model size and rely on s 1 smoothing. High quality images with background and light sources reveal issues that I would not discover in my 900×600 renders. So thanks, for me this is very useful. And, btw, even if the posts were show-off, that would still be fine. Of course, users wish to show stuff they are proud of and get a pat on the back as acknowledgement. Forum would not be the same without them..."show-off" every time I visualise my arguments...
But it is worth mentioning. Again, it all depends on the purpose. No cheating: for high quality print other formats and higher resolutions are essential. Just got some A5 signs back from a print shop based on a vector original. Result was perfect, as it should be, even if I doubt anyone else would have noticed. So I agree, no short-cuts when it comes to the real stuff...tiny difference, a difference really not worth mentioning ... 8 by 3 meter poster, where every tiny detail becomes visible...
This is a bit mystifying as it looked as if the optimizer did file compression (not image compression) for the 11% version. But I may be wrong, I did not check carefully. For the 1,4% version content and format was changed, but I did not spend time on the image as such, it was just to show reduction possible.Not entirely true. ... But you could say; "with little and barely noticeable quality loss.", and still have kept your words intact.The elephant in the file is the .png label, an optimizer shrinks it to 11% without quality loss
Obviously you wish to use the resolution necessary to get the result you wish. And in some cases, I suppose that will require a higher resolution model. But I also think there is a point where it is impossible to tell the difference, i.e. where the s 1 smoothing produces a result identical to a high number of edges. At least seen from the side.If I was to print a high quality image of this bottle, I would rather increase than reduce the resolution of the .obj-file
No. Absolutely not. Having had teen-agers in the house, watering down brings shivers down my spine. I gladly forgive nicking a taste or two, but trying to conceal theft with water is another story... Then again, I gladly drink a cheap, simple wine if it serves my purpose and pleases me. At a recent dinner party, expensive wine was served, everyone else seemed to love it. Tasted horrible, the back-up bag-in-box was infinitely better with the spicy food served. But that was me. Purpose and personal taste.If you were to drink a bottle of Tignanello 2012, would you be happy to be served a reduced and watered down version?
Looked at your bottle. .obj pretty effective and just plastering the entire model with an image is an interesting approach. But I am not sure how you would go about testing the optical density at close-up using a full texture?@bdfd: nice compliment coming from you