Below is how it is looking on my machine with version 2.3. I am also wondering if the graphics corruption you found with version 2.4, windows appearing in front of your plant, could also be a graphics card issue? I can try your file on my machine if it helps?
I did manage to crash version 2.4 beta 5 with this file but that was running under visualization, the display started to corrupt and not long after it crashed.
As for your onboard graphics chip, If you can afford I highly, highly! Recommend buying a dedicated graphics card, you will be quite shocked at the performance gains, not just with Sweet Home but with most computer applications.
I know I'm quoting UK pricing but it is just to give you an example.
Sparkle GeForce 9500GT 1GB SF-PX95GT1024U2-HP PASSIVE PCI-Express Only £49.21 if that is too much I can help with other recommendations.
By the way, don't by a GS version Nvidia card, you need a GT model. the GS is the cut down version, which is okay but no where near as powerful as a GT model.
You would also need to find out what type of dedicated graphics card slot you have inside your computer, either PCI-E or older AGP, this can be checked through open source software without having to open the case.
Rendered with Uber
db4tech